GretchenandRobert

Hello to all our friends and family. As of Sep 2007, Robert and I are no longer dating. However, we will leave this blog up for memories of some of our fun trips and times spent together.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

More photos from Robert

Last Sunday, my host mother Sumiko took me on another excursion into the countryside. I met her sisters, brother, mother, and their families. I took another bike ride around the local town, and here are some of the photos that I took from that day.
*Meeting Sumiko's mother and sisters.


*The red roof picture is Sumiko's childhood house. It is on a farm where they grow a variety of vegetables.
*The Samurai-looking photo is a family picture that was hung in the shrine room of grandma's house. I am not sure who it was, but I thought it was a great picture. *You can barely see from the next photo that there are family portraits hung above the shrine.


*This hallway picture was the hall that connected the kitchen to the bathroom. The house was/is very old and in pretty bad shape, but it was cool anyway.
*The Kitchen stove...


*Right-on, [I found] Amall!

* Japanese yard ornaments...

* Lunch with the family. The young boy later helped me with my Japanese homework!



*The food was yummy!

* Working on the family farm.
* neighborhood shrines (tombs actually)

*View from the driveway of the farm.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Summer Adams said...

Great pics! I don't know why, but I've always been so fascinated with their culture! I love how into their ancestry they are. It's so neat.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so much fun checking out your blog its a great way to keep up with your lives with you both so far away. The pictures in Japan where you are eating with the family reminded me of when I was in Japan and we went to a party at our landlords house and we sat at a table loaded with food just like that one and sat on the floor. The table looked almost the same. Do they always sit on the floor or do they have tables and chairs also. I didn't see any table and chairs back in 1968 when I was there. It was a totally different and interesting way of life. I enjoyed my time there. Gretchen doesn't sound like the tornado did a lot of damage thank goodness. We have been blessed here in Sacramento with beautiful warm low 90's and 80's. Love you, mom A

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting up comments, monkey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home